It’s a fair question and one that I get alot. Going for it alone can be like burning your money. The first thing is to realize the seller’s agent is looking out for his client and not you. Here is the best explanation of why it is a good idea to hire a Realtor when you buy a home and especially for first time home buyers.
1) A buyer will have typically little or no expense in the exchange of professional advice, opinion, and expertise in the art of the transaction.
2) The seller’s agent doesn’t work for you and is looking out for the sellers and their interests not yours. A buyer agent will be loyally protecting your position.
3) A Realtor can save countless hours in delays, mistakes, and rework.
4) Most buyers are not trained nor experienced enough to handle complex negotiations such as Realtors do every day.
5) A Realtor has access to critical information about neighborhoods or property history that can save thousands of dollars and years of regret.
6) An experienced Realtor will always have alternatives to offer with every choice and solutions for every possible problem that may arise.
7) A strong Realtor will have a network of professionals in every aspect of the purchase such as licensed home inspectors, lenders, insurance, title attorneys, and after the sale as well such as landscapers, electricians, plumbers, painters, and other contractors.
8) A Realtor can simplify the transaction with simple explanations to the forms necessary, counsel, and when the need arises, a heavy hand on your behalf.
9) Realtors have access to properties not listed in the MLS system but could potentially be the best home to suit your wants and needs.
10) Would you go to court without a lawyer? Would let Uncle Ray perform surgery on you? Why make the largest investment of your life without the help of a qualified Realtor?